Don Detrich writes:

AGI Will Be The Most Powerful Technology In Human History – In Fact, So
Powerful that it Threatens Us <<
Admittedly there are many possible dangers with future AGI technology. We can
think of a million horror stories and in all probability some of the problems
that will crop up are things we didn’t anticipate. At this point it is pure
conjecture. All new technologies have dangers, just like life in general.

It'll be interesting to see if the "horror stories" about AGI follow the same
pattern as they did for Nanotechnology... After many years and dollars of real
nanotechnology research, the simplistic vision of the lone wolf researcher
stumbling on a runaway self-replicator that turns the planet into gray goo
became much more complicated and unlikely.  Plus you can only write about gray
goo for so long before it gets boring.

Not to say that AGI is necessarily the same as Nanotechnology in its actual
risks, or even that gray goo is less of an actual risk than writers speculated
about, but it will be interesting to see if the scenario of a runaway
self-reprogramming AI becomes similarly passe.