Edward W. Porter writes:> To Matt Mahoney.
> Your 9/30/2007 8:36 PM post referred to mine in reply to Derek Zahn and
> implied RSI
> (which I assume from context is a reference to Recursive Self Improvement) is
> necessary for general intelligence.

> So could you, or someone, please define exactly what its meaning is?

Thanks for asking this question, I was just going to do so myself.  If I am
generally intelligent then I must be able to recursively self improve, even
though all I can do is change some parameters in a particular neural structure.
 But that's just learning (even if it is learning better ways to learn).  I
don't think that sort of learning is what gives Singularitarians nightmares
about AGI going BOOM a few days after birth, so defining what we mean and what
we're actually afraid of could be very useful.

-----