You misunderstood me -- when I said robustness of the goal system, I meant the contents and integrity of the goal system, not the particular implementation.

I do however continue to object to your phrasing about the system recognizing influence on it's goal system and preserving it. Fundamentally, there are only a very small number of "Thou shalt not" supergoals that need to be forever invariant. Other than those, the system should be able to change it's goals as much as it likes (chocolate or strawberry? excellent food or mediocre sex? save starving children, save adults dying of disease, or go on vacation since I'm so damn tired from all my other good works?)

A quick question for Richard and others -- Should adults be allowed to drink, do drugs, wirehead themselves to death?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vladimir Nesov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:49 AM
Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] Religion-free technical content

But yet robustness of goal system itself is less important than
intelligence that allows system to recognize influence on its goal
system and preserve it. Intelligence also allows more robust
interpretation of goal system. Which is why the way particular goal
system is implemented is not very important. Problems lie in rough
formulation of what goal system should be (document in English is
probably going to be enough) and in placing the system under
sufficient influence of its goal system (so that intelligent processes
independent on it would not take over).