J Storrs Hall, PhD wrote:
On Thursday 04 October 2007 11:06:11 am, Richard Loosemore wrote:

As far as we can tell, GoL is an example of that class of system in which we simply never will be able to produce a "theory" in which we plug in the RULES of GoL, and get out a list of all the patterns in GoL that are interesting.

What do you exclude from your notion of a "theory"? If it can require evaluating a recursive function, or solving a Diophantine equation, or any of the other (provably) Turing equivalent constructs we often use to express scientific theories, then I can readily give you a theory that will take the rules, run huge numbers of experiments, do clustering and maxent type analyses, and so forth, using any definition of "interesting" you can formally specify.

Do it then.  You can start with interesting=cyclic.

Oh, and, by the way, the widely accepted standard for what counts as a "scientific theory" is -- as any scientist will be able to tell you -- that it has to make its prediction without becoming larger and more complicated than the system under study, so it goes without saying that whatever you choose for a theory it is not allowed to simulate a massive number of Game of Life cases and simply home in on the cyclic ones.

Since you say you can "readily" do this, I'm sure everyone here will be waiting with baited breath -- can we expect to see the result by Monday morning?

Richard Loosemore