(off topic, but there are something relevant for AGI)

My fears about economical libertarianism could be illustrated with a "fish
pond analogy". If there is a small pond with a large number of small fish of
some predatory species, after an amount of time they will cannibalize and
eat each other until at the end there will just remain one very very fat
fish. The instability occurs because a fish that already has managed to eat
a peer, becomes slightly larger than the rest of the fish, and therefore has
a better position in continuing to eat more fish, thus its progress can
accelerate. Maybe if the pond is big enough, a handful of very big fish
would remain.

This is of course just an illustration and by no means a proof that the same
thing would occur in a laissez-faire/libertarianism economy. Libertarians
commonly put blame for monopolies on government involvement, and I guess
some would object that I unfairly compares fish that eat each other with a
non-violent economy. But lets just say I do not share their relaxed attitude
towards the potential threat of monopoly, and a bigger fish eating a smaller
fish do have some similarity to a bigger company acquiring a smaller one.

First of all, the consequence of monopoly is so serious that even if the
chance is very slight, there is a strong incentive to try to prevent it from
ever happening. But there are also a lot of details to suggest that a
laissez-faire economy would collapse into monopoly/oligopoly. Effects of
synergy and mass production benefits would be one strong reason why a
completely free market would benefit those companies that are already large,
which could make them grow larger.

*Especially when considering AGI and intelligence enhancement I believe a
libertarian market could be even more unstable. In such a setting, the rich
could literally invest in more intelligence, that would make them even more
rich, creating a positive economic feedback loop. A dangerous accelerating
scenario where the intelligence explosion could co-occur with the rise of
world monopoly. We could call it an "AGI induced monopoly explosion". Unless
democracy could challenge such a libertarian market, only a few oligarchs
might have the position to decide the fate of mankind, if they could control
their AGI that is. Although it is just one possible scenario.*

A documentary I saw claimed that Russia was converted to something very
close to a laissez-faire market in the years after the Soviet Union
collapse. However I don't have any specific details about it, such as
exactly how free the market of that period was. But apparently it caused
chaos and gave rise to a brutal economy with oligarchs controlling the
society. [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_(television_documentary_series)].
Studying what happened in Russia after the fall of communism could give some
insight on the topic.

/R