On Friday 19 October 2007 01:30:43 pm, Mike Tintner wrote:
> Josh: An AGI needs to be able to watch someone doing something and produce a
> program such that it can now do the same thing.
>
> Sounds neat and tidy. But that's not the way the human mind does it.

A vacuous statement, since I stated what needs to be done, not how to do it.

> We  start from ignorance and confusion about how to perform any given skill/
> activity

Particularly how to build an AGI :-)

> - and while we then acquire an enormous amount of relevant
> routines - we never build a whole module or program for any activity.

If what you're trying to say is "nobody's perfect", well, duh.

If you're trying to say humans don't actually acquire skills, speak for
yourself.

> We  "never stop learning", whether we're committed to that attitude
> philosophically or not.

Some of us never *start* learning...

> And we never stop being confused.

FDSN.

> Are you certain about how best to write programs? Or have sex?
> Or a conversation? Or play chess? Or tennis? All our activities, like those,
> demand and repay a lifetime's study. An AGI will have to have a similar
> approach to enjoy any success.

How stupid of me not to realize that my vague ideas on how to build a program
that can learn by watching, would not instantly achieve superhuman, Godlike,
mathematically optimal performance on every possible task at first sight.
I am awed by the brilliance of this insight.

Josh