Matt Mahoney’s Thu 10/18/2007 9:15 PM post states

MAHONEY>> There is possibly a 6 order of magnitude gap between the size of
a cognitive model of human memory (10^9 bits) and the number of synapses
in the brain (10^15), and precious little research to resolve this
discrepancy.  In fact, these numbers are so poorly known that we aren't
even sure there is a gap.

EWP>> This gap, which Matt was so correct to highlight, is an important
one, and points out one of the many crippling legacy of the small hardware
mindset.

EWP>> I have always been a big believer in memory based reasoning, and for
the last 37 years I have always assumed a human level representation of
world knowledge would require something like 10^12 to 10^14 bytes, which
is 10^13 to 10^15 bits. (i.e., “within several orders of magnitude of the
human brain”, a phrase  I have used so many times before on this list.) My
recollection is that after reading Minsky’s reading list in 1970 and my
taking of K-line theory to heart, the number I guessed at that time for
world knowledge was either 10^15 bits or bytes, I forget which.  But, of
course, my notions then were so primitive compared to what they are today.

EWP>> Should we allow ourselves to think in terms of such big numbers?
Yes.  Let’s take 10^13 bytes, for example.

EWP>> 10^13 bytes with 2/3s of it in non-volatile memory and 10 million
simple RAM opp processors, capable of performing about 20 trillion random
RAM accesses/sec, and a network with a cross-sectional bandwidth of
roughly 45 TBytes/sec (if you ran it hot), should be manufacturable at a
marginal cost in 7 years of about $40,000, and could be profitably sold
with amortization of development costs for several hundred thousand
dollars if there were a market for several thousand of them -- which there
almost certainly would be because of their extreme power.

EWP>> Why so much more than the 10^9 bits mentioned above?

EWP>> Because 10^9 bits only stores roughly 1 million atoms (nodes or
links) with proper indexing and various state values.  Anybody who thinks
that is enough to represent human-level world knowledge in all its visual,
audio, linguistic, tactile, kinesthetic, emotional, behavioral, and social
complexity hasn’t thought about it in sufficient depth.

EWP>> For example, my foggy recollection is that Serre’s representation of
the hierarchical memory associated the portion of the visual cortext from
V1 up to the lower level of the pre-frontal cortex (from the paper I have
cited so many times on this list) has several million pattern nodes (and,
as Josh has pointed out, this is just for the mainly feedforward aspect of
visual modeling).  This includes nothing for the vast majority of V1 and
above, and nothing for audio, language, visual motion, associate cortex,
prefrontal cortex, etc.

EWP>> Matt, I am not in any way criticizing you for mentioning 10^9 bits,
because I have read similar numbers myself, and your post pointed with
very appropriate questioning to the gap between that and what the brain
would appear to have the capabilility to represent.  This very low number
is just another manifestation of the small hardware mindset that has
dominated the conventional wisdom in the AI since its beginning.  If the
only models one could make had to fit in the very small memories of most
past machines, it is only natural that one’s mind would be biased toward
grossly simplified representation.

EWP>> So forget the notion that 10^9 bits can represent human-level world
knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the memory required to
store the representation in most current best selling video games is 10 to
40 times larger.

Ed Porter

P.S., Please give me feed back on whehter this technique of distinguishing
original from responsive text is better than my use of all-caps, which
received criticism.