From: Monika Krishan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 10:20 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] Questions

On Nov 7, 2007 8:46 AM, Edward W. Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It is much easier to think how superhuman intelligences will outshine us
in the performance arena, since all one has to do is take known human
mental talents and extrapolate. It

seems to me it is more difficult to
understand what new mental competences superintelligences will have
because many of them involve abilities, that because they are outside our
competence, we have not yet thought of.

Ed Porter

Yes, that's the main concern here. But there appear to be 3 separate
varieties of "new-ness", one of which could be (and perhaps should be ??)
addressed more easily than the other two.
1. abilities that currently exist which we simply haven't noticed
2. concepts that haven't yet been discovered
3. abilities that haven't yet been expressed

For example, imagine if we lived in an environment where no one ever got
injured, so that there would be no scrapes, bruises, paper cuts, etc... We
wouldn't know of the body's ability to heal, that it could stop blood loss
via clotting at the location of the injury. This would be an ability that
exists but that we are unaware of. (type-1)

Fields/inventions such as those mentioned by Russell, below, -
"experimental mathematics, quantum chemistry and video games" would be
examples of new concepts discovered using existing mental & artificial
machinery. (type-2 -tough to predict)

Examples of type-3, would depend on certain genes being activated to
produce new competencies such as .... the ability to consciously detect
and correct brain haemorhages ... or the ability to detect and eliminate
cancerous growths ..... or the ability to detect and correct unhealthy
mutations in an embryo. (type-3 - tough to predict)

So the question is are there type-1 competencies that we are overlooking?
This is relevant if we want our AGI partners to add to our abilities and
not give us what we already have (but are unaware of).

No matter whether AGIs help to extend our performance or our competence,
they would have work with the blueprint of human intelligence. That is
they would need to have a sufficiently detailed understanding of what the
human brain/mind can do and how it does that.
Eg: pacemakers and hearts .. etc.

-Monika