Ed Porter wrote:
Richard,

It is false to imply that knowledge of how to draw implications from a
series of statements by some sort of search mechanism is equally unknown as
that of how to make an anti-gravity drive -- if by "anti-gravity drive" you
mean some totally unknown form of physics, rather than just anything, such
as human legs, that can push against gravity.
It is unfair because there is a fair amount of knowledge about how to draw
implications from sequences of statements.  For example view Shastri's
www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~shastri/psfiles/cogsci00.ps.  Also Ben Goertzel has
demonstrated a program that draws implications from statements contained in
different medical texts.

Ed Porter
P.S., I have enclosed an inexact, but, at least to me, useful drawing I made
of the type of "search" involved in understanding the multiple implications
contained in the series of statements contained in Shastri's "John fell in
the Hallway. Tom had cleaned it.  He was hurt" example.  Of course, what is
most missing from this drawing are all the other, dead end, implications
which do not provide a likely implication.  Only one of such dead end is
shown (the implication between fall and trip).  As a result you don't sense
how many dead ends have to be searched to find the implications which best
explain the statements.   EWP

Well, bear in mind that I was not meaning the analogy to be *that* exact, or I would have given up on AGI long ago - I'm sure you know that I don't believe that getting an understanding system working is as impossible as getting an AG drive built.

The purpose of my comment was to point to a huge gap in understanding, and the mistaken strategy of dealing with all the peripheral issues before having a clear idea how to solve the central problem.

I cannot even begin to do justice, here, to the issues involved in solving "the high dimensional problem of seeking to understand the meaning of text, which often involve multiple levels of implication, which would normally be accomplished by some sort of search of a large semantic space"

You talk as if an extension of some current strategy will solve this ... but it is not at all clear that any current strategy for solving this problem actually does scale up to a full solution to the problem. I don't care how many toy examples you come up with, you have to show a strategy for dealing with some of the core issues, AND reasons to believe that those strategies really will work (other than "I find them quite promising").

Not only that, but there at least some people (to wit, myself) who believe there are positive reasons to believe that the current strategies *will* not scale up.

Richard Loosemore