Jean-Paul Van Belle wrote:
Interesting - after drafting three replies I have come to realize
that it is possible to hold two contradictory views and live or even
run with it. Looking at their writings, both Ben & Richard know damn
well what complexity means and entails for AGI. Intuitively, I side
with Richard's stance that, if the current state of 'the new kind of
science' cannot even understand simple chaotic systems - the
toy-problems of three-variable differential quadratic equations  and
2-D Alife, then what hope is there to find a theoretical solution for
a really complex system. The way forward is by experimental
exploration of part of the solution space. I don't think we'll find
general complexity theories any time soon. On the other hand,
practically I think that it *is* (or may be) possible to build an AGI
system up carefully and systematically from the ground up i.e.
inspired by a sound (or at least plausible) theoretical framework or
by modelling it on real-world complex systems that seem to work
(because that's the way I proceed too), finetuning the system
parameters and managing emerging complexity as we go along and move
up the complexity scale. (Just like engineers can build pretty much
anything without having a GUT.) Both paradagmatic approaches have
their merits and are in fact complementary: explore, simulate,
genetically evolve etc. from the top down to get a bird's eye view of
the problem space versus incrementally build up from the bottom up
following a carefully chartered path/ridge inbetween the chasms of
the unknown based on a strong conceptual theoretical founding. It is
done all the time in other sciences - even maths! Interestingly, I
started out wanting to use a simulation tool to check the behaviour
(read: fine-tune the parameters) of my architectural designs but then
realised that the simulation of a complex system is actually a
complex system itself and it'd be easier and more efficient to
prototype than to simulate. But that's just because of the nature of
my architecture. Assuming Ben's theories hold, he is adopting the
right approach. Given Richard's assumption or intuitions, he is
following the right path too. I doubt that they will converge on a
common solution but the space of conceivably possible AGI
architectures is IMHO extremely large. In fact, my architectural
approach is a bit of a poor cousin/hybrid: having neither Richard's
engineering skills nor Ben's mathematical understanding I am hoping
to do a scruffy alternative path :)

Interesting thoughts: remind me, if I forget, that when I get my website functioning and can put longer papers into a permanent repository, that we all need to have a forward-looking discussion about some of the detailed issues that might arise here. That is, going beyond merely arguing about whether or not there is a problem. I have many thoughts about what you say, but no time right now, so I will come back to this.

The short version of my thoughts is that we need to look into some of the details of what I propose to do, and try to evaluate the possible dangers of not taking the path I suggest.

Richard Loosemore