It's interesting that the "field" of memetics is moribund (ex. the Journal of Memetics hasn't published in two years) but the meme of memetics is alive and well. I wonder, do any of the AGI researchers find the concept of Memes useful in describing how their proposed AGIs would acquire or transfer information?

Josh Cowan

From: "John G. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Subject: RE: [agi] AGI and Deity
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:36:11 -0700

> From: Mike Tintner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> John:> Are you familiar with some works that you may recommend?
> >
> That's the point. Never heard of anything from memetics - which Dennett
> conceded had "not yet fulfilled its promise."

Well in particular, applied memetics. I believe that certain propagandistic
governments have departments that use is quite well, though again they may
be using their own derivation, I'm not sure if it is standardized. It
definitely has not fulfilled its promise as the applications are numerous.
The internet changes the way it works though drastically.

John

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;