WP: > I'm going to try and elucidate my approach to building an intelligent
system, in a round about fashion. This is the problem I am trying to
solve.

Marks for at least trying to identify an AGI problem. I can't recall anyone else doing so - which, to repeat, I think is appalling.

But I don't think you're doing it adequately, with your example of a submersible. Essentially you're providing a variation on what I've already mentioned - the ICRA Robot Challenge.

http://icra.wustl.edu/

Their lunar mission camp situation - how would you program a robot to deal with any unexpected emergency that could arise in a limited camp area - any malfunctioning equipment, for example - does strike me as a good AGI problem. Your robot will have certain skills: how will it adapt those skills to meet new problems for which they are useful but, overall inadequate?

You must first define its existing skills, then define the new challenge with some degree of precision - then explain the principles by which it will extend its skills. It's those principles of extension/generalization that are the be-all and end-all, (and NOT btw, as you suggest, any helpful info that the robot will receive - that,sir, is cheating - it has to work these things out for itself - although perhaps it could *ask* for info).

Anyway, nice to see someone talking about the central problem of AGI at last.