On Thursday 06 March 2008 06:46:43 pm, Vladimir Nesov wrote:
> My argument doesn't need 'something of a completely different kind'.
> Society and human is fine as substitute for human and carrot in my
> example, only if society could extract profit from replacing humans
> with 'cultivated humans'. But we don't have cultivated humans, and we
> are not at the point where existing humans need to be cleared to make
> space for new ones.

The scenario takes on an entirely different tone if you replace "weed out some
wild carrots" with "kill all the old people who are economically
inefficient". In particular the former is something one can easily imagine
people doing without a second thought, while the latter is likely to generate
considerable opposition in society.

> The only thing that could keep future society from derailing in this
> direction is some kind of enforcement installed in minds of future
> dominant individuals/societies by us lesser species while we are still
> in power.

All we need to do is to make sure they have the same ideas of morality and
ethics that we do -- the same as we would raise any other children.

> >  Note that if some super-intelligence were possible and optimal, evolution
> >  could have opted for fewer bigger brains in a dominant race. It didn't --
> >  note our brains are actually 10% smaller than Neanderthals. This isn't
proof
> >  that an optimal system is brains of our size acting in social/economic
> >  groups, but I'd claim that anyone arguing the opposite has the burden of
> >  proof (and no supporting evidence I've seen).
> >

> Sorry, I don't understand this point. We are the first species to
> successfully launch culture. Culture is much more powerful then
> individuals, if only through parallelism and longer lifespan. What
> follows from it?

So how would you design a super-intelligence:
(a) a single giant blob modelled on an individual human mind
(b) a society (complete with culture) with lots of human-level minds and
high-speed communication?

We know (b) works if you can build the individual human-level mind. Nobody has
a clue that (a) is even possible. There's lots of evidence that even human
minds have many interacting parts.

Josh