Mark Waser wrote:

Part 4.
... Eventually, you're going to get down to "Don't mess with
anyone's goals", be forced to add the clause "unless absolutely necessary", and then have to fight over what "when absolutely necessary" means. But what we've got here is what I would call the goal of a Friendly society -- "*/Don't mess with anyone's goals unless absolutely necessary/*" and I would call this a huge amount of progress.

Along with a fight over "when absolutely necessary" there could easily be a fight over "mess with."

Note how often we mess with others goals.
Example 1: driving down the road encountering a person who appears to be lost. If you stop to help them, you are "messing" with their goal of the moment which is probably to figure out where they are. Is it absolutely necessary to help them? probably not since they likely have a cell phone or two...

Example 2: You ask a child what they are frustrated about. If they explain the problem they are trying to solve - their goal - and then you offer an opinion, you might easily be "messing." One could speculate that the messing was welcome, but it is risky if the "law of the land" is don't mess unless necessary.

Example 3: You decide to carry a sign in public showing either that you are "pro choice" or "pro life." Evidently you are there to "mess" with the goals and intents that others might have. Taboo?

An expressed opinion about someones goal could be considered messing with it. Lawyers are about the only thing sure about the future!