On Friday 11 April 2008 01:59:42 am, Steve Richfield wrote:

> > Your experience with the medical community is not too surprising:  I
> > believe that the Expert Systems folks had similar troubles way back when.
>
> IMO the Expert Systems people deserved bad treatment!

Actually, the medical expert systems of the 80s I had any conection with, such
as the glaucoma expert from Rutgers, beat out human doctors in diagnoses
within their field of expertise.  (And still weren't adopted...)

BTW, the attached paper included some remarks about Jay Forrester & System
Dynamics. Forrester came out of exactly the same background as Cybernetics --
working on automatic radar-directed fire-control systems, at MIT, during
WWII.  And both his stuff and Cybernetics consists basically of applying
feedback and control theory (and general differential analysis) to things
ranging from neuroscience to economics.

Steve: If you're saying that your system builds a model of its world of
discourse as a set of non-linear ODEs (which is what Systems Dynamics is
bout) then I (and presumably Richard) are much more likely to be
interested...

Josh

ps -- of course, you know that if you're using Excel to integrate dynamical
systems, you are in a state of sin.