2008/4/28 J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I drool over the physical robot -- it's built like a brick outhouse. It has 53
>  degrees of freedom, binocular vision, touch, audition, and inertial sensors,
>  harmonic drives, top-grade aircraft aluminum members, the works.
>
>  That doofy face places it squarely in the deepest ravine of the uncanny
>  valley.
>
>  They talk a very good game in the AGI approach they're taking, for my money:
>  see http://www.robotcub.org/misc/review3/07_Vernon_Metta_Sandini_ICDL.pdf

The outline sounds good, but is short on details.  Building highly
anthropomorphic robots like this will help us to understand how human
cognitive skills develop, although such a system will not be able to
test adaptation to substantial changes in body dynamics, as would
occur with a growing human child.

I'm not totally convinced that having a high number of degrees of
freedom is actually necessary for the development of intelligence.  Of
greater importance is the sensory capability, and the ways in which
that data is processed.  A birds beak is a far less elaborate tool
than a human hand or arm, but there are examples of birds making and
using tools to extract food.  These capabilities require insight - the
ability to imaginatively create a possible solution to a problem, then
act out that plan.