Richard Loosemore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

That was a personal insult.

You should be ashamed of yourself, if you cannot discuss the issues
without filling your comments with ad hominem abuse.

I did think about replying to the specific insults you set out above,
but in the end I have decided that it is not worth the effort to deal
with people who stoop to that level.

If you look back on everything I have written, you will notice that I
NEVER resort to personal attacks in order to win an argument.  I have
defended myself against personal attacks from others, and I have
sometimes become angry at those attacks, but that is all.

Richard Loosemore
----

If you attack the work of a person or his opinion again and again then this
is informally a personal attack. And often the issue of such discussion
moves away from a certain subject to the pure question who is right.

AGI is a very complex subject. And we should always remember that we have a
common goal: The creation of human level intelligence or even super human
intelligence. This goal is perhaps the most difficult goal I know. We may
have different opinions how far we are and how things are to be evaluated
that we already have.

But we should better talk about how we can move a little bit nearer towards
our common goal.

My approach would be, that we make thought experiments like my example of
the robot in the garden who is asked how many apples are in the tree.

We should outline the processes which could happen in the robot's brain.
First, the necessary processes should be named without presenting detailed
algorithms.
Then we should ask which processes seem to be easy and which are hard. The
hard tasks need of course most attention.
We must first ask why they are hard. What constitutes the real problem.
Probably we will reach points where we see, that the set of processes we
initially assumed, must be changed.

Incrementally, we will derive a more and more detailed plan how everything
could work.