On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyhow it is very interesting.  Perhaps savantism is an attention mechanism
> disorder?  Like, too much attention.

Yes.

"Autism is a devastating neurodevelopmental disorder with a
polygenetic predisposition that seems to be triggered by multiple envi
ronmental factors during embryonic and/or early postnatal life. While
significant advances have been made in identifying the neuronal
structures and cells affected, a unifying theory that could explain
the manifold autistic symptoms has still not emerged. Based on recent
synaptic, cellular, molecular, microcircuit, and behavioral results
obtained with the valproic acid (VPA) rat model of autism, we propose
here a unifying hypothesis where the core pathology of the autistic
brain is hyper-reactivity and hyper-plasticity of local neuronal
circuits. Such excessive neuronal processing in circumscribed circuits
is suggested to lead to hyper-perception, hyper-attention, and
hyper-memory, which may lie at the heart of most autistic symptoms. In
this view, the autistic spectrum are disorders of hyper-functionality,
which turns debilitating, as opposed to disorders of
hypo-functionality, as is often assumed. We discuss how excessive
neuronal processing may render the world painfully intense when the
neocortex is affected and even aversive when the amygdala is affected,
leading to social and environmental withdrawal. Excessive neuronal
learning is also hypothesized to rapidly lock down the individual into
a small repertoire of secure behavioral routines that are obsessively
repeated. We further discuss the key autistic neuropathologies and
several of the main theories of autism and re-interpret them in the
light of the hypothesized Intense World Syndrome."

http://heybryan.org/intense_world_syndrome.html

See also the last email I sent out on this subject:
http://heybryan.org/pipermail/hplusroadmap/2008-May/000466.html

- Bryan