Ben,

On 6/8/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be
> first overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson

... to whose satisfaction? Here on this forum, there are only two groups of
"judges":
1.  The people who are actually writing the code, and
2.  People who might fund the above.

Note that *I* am NOT on this list. However, I believe that it is important
for you to be able to speak to objections, even though your words may not
dissuade the objectors, and to produce some sort of documentation of these
to "throw at" "experts" that future investors might bring in. As I have
mentioned on prior postings, it IS possible to overcome contrary opinions by
highly credentialed "experts", but you absolutely MUST "have your act
together" to have a chance at this.

Note that when faced with two people, one of whom says that something is
impossible, and the other saying that he can do it, that (having been in
this spot myself on several occasions) I almost always bet on the guy who
says that he can do it. That having been said, just what are my objections
here?! They are that you haven't adequately explained (to me) just how you
are going to blow past the obvious challenges that lie ahead, which strongly
suggests that you haven't adequately considered them. It is that careful
consideration of challenges that separates the "angels" from the "fools who
rush in". Given significant evidence of that careful consideration, I would
be inclined to bet on your success, even though I might disagree with some
of your evaluations.

Yes, I heard you explain how experimentation is still needed to figure out
what approaches might work, and which approaches should be consigned to the
bit bucket. That of course is "research", and the vast majority of research
leads nowhere. Planned experimental research is NOT a substitute for careful
consideration of stated challenges, unless coupled with some sort of
explanation as to how the research should provide a path past those
challenges (the "scientific method" that tests theories). Hence, I was just
looking for some hopeful words to describe a potential success path, and not
any sort of "proof of future success"

I completely agree that words (e.g. mine) are no substitute for running
code, but neither is running code any substitute for explanatory words,
unless of course the code is to only exist on the author's computer.

Steve Richfield