On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Stefan Pernar wrote:
> "I'm a consultant with DARPA, and I'm working on an initiative to push the
> boundaries of neuromorphic computing (i.e. artificial intelligence). The
> project is designed to advance ideas all fronts, including measuring and
> understanding biological brains, creating AI systems, and investigating the
> fundamental nature of intelligence. I'm conducting a wide search of these
> fields, but I wanted to know if any in this community know of neat projects
> along those lines that I might overlook. Maybe you're working on a project
> like that and want to talk it up? No promises (seriously), but interesting
> work will be brought to the attention of the project manager I'm working
> with. If you want to start up a dialog, send me an email, and we'll see
> where it goes. I'll also be reading the comments for the story."

This sounds like the DARPA SyNAPSE program.

Here is a blog post about the program with a link to the full
specification document:
<http://p9.hostingprod.com/@modha.org/blog/2008/04/>
April 25, 2008
SyNAPSE: Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics
DARPA's Defense Sciences Office (DSO) has recently issued a Broad
Agency Announcement entitled SyNAPSE. The program is led by Dr. Todd
Hylton.
---------------

This gives an idea of the people and projects already bidding.
<http://www.eventmakeronline.com/dso/View/presenter.asp?MeetingID=561>
DARPA SyNAPSE Bidders Workshop  March 4, 2008

This is an overview of the meeting from one of the participants.
<http://www.ine-news.org/view.php?article=rss-248&category=Workshops%3AGeneral>
Report on the DARPA SyNAPSE Teaming Workshop
Leslie Smith     14 March 2008

BillK