Valentina,

On 7/9/08, Valentina Poletti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could you specify what do you mean by synaptic response curve? If it is
> what I think it is it is far from linear, at least from the textbooks I
> read, so I am probably not following you.

As I recall, the excitatory synapses they found were pretty linear, but they
also captured two inhibitory synapses, which were very different from one
another and neither was at all linear. I later published a paper at the
first NN conference (in San Diego) explaining that one of the inhibitory
responsecurves was EXACTLY what you would expect from an AND NOT function on
the logarithms of the probabilities of assertions being TRUE. Note that at
True=1, the NOT of True=1 is False=0, and the logarithm of 0 is
infinite/discontinuous. The inhibitory synapse had exactly this same
discontinuity near the upper end of its operating range!!! While conjectures
abound, no solid proposed explanation has been advanced for the other
inhibitory synapse.

Note that integration and differentiation across synapses is well known and
often observed, but has never been carefully observed and measured, so by
the perverse "ethics" of neuroscience, it has yet to be documented in the
literature.

I also have a theory that seems to be consistent with the commonly observed
differentiation, which (according to my theory) is a sort of time base
restoration, that eliminates much of the computational time delays (at a
cost of some computational noise), so that the output from a group of
neurons does NOT exhibit much if any delay from the input, at least for
gradually changing inputs. This is similar to the way that "peaking"
capacitors were used in (now antiquated) RTL (Resistor-Transistor logic). Of
course, verification of this theory awaits quantitative analysis, which in
turn awaits improved laboratory equipment and methods.

Steve Richfield