On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yah, according to Bayes rule if one assumes P(bird) = P(swimmer) this would
> be the case...
>
> (Of course, this kind of example is cognitively misleading, because if the
> only knowledge
> the system has is "Swallows are birds" and "Swallows are NOT swimmers" then
> it doesn't
> really know that the terms involved are "swallows", "birds", "swimmers" etc.
> ... then in
> that case they're just almost-meaningless tokens to the system, right?)

Well, it depends on the semantics. According to model-theoretic
semantics, if a term has no reference, it has no meaning. According to
experience-grounded semantics, every term in experience have meaning
--- by the role it plays.

Further questions:

(1) Don't you intuitively feel that the evidence provided by
non-swimming birds says more about "Birds are swimmers" than
"Swimmers are birds"?

(2) If your answer for (1) is "yes", then think about "Adults are
alcohol-drinkers" and "Alcohol-drinkers are adults" --- do they have
the same set of counter examples, intuitively speaking?

(3) According to your previous explanation, will PLN also take a red
apple as negative evidence for "Birds are swimmers" and "Swimmers are
birds", because it reduces the "candidate pool" by one? Of course, the
probability adjustment may be very small, but qualitatively, isn't it
the same as a non-swimming bird? If not, then what the system will do
about it?

Pei