I am well aware that building even *virtual* embodiment (in simulated
worlds) is hard....

However, creating human-level AGI is **so** hard that doing other hard
things in order to make the AGI task a bit easier, seems to make sense!!

One of the things the OpenCog framework hopes to offer AGI developers is a
relatively easy way to hook their proto-AGI systems up to virtual bodies ...
saving them of doing the software integration work...

Integration of robot simulators with virtual worlds, as I've been
advocating, would make this sort of approach even more powerful...

-- Ben G

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Dr. Matthias Heger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I think embodied linguistic experience could be **useful** for an AGI to
> do mathematics. The reason for this is that creativity comes from usage of
> huge knowledge and experiences in different domains.
>

> But on the other hand I don't think embodied experience is necessary. It
> could be even have some disadvantages. For example, we can think in 3d
> spaces much better than in spaces of dimension n. But for science today,
> 3d-mathematics is less needed than mathematics of n-dimensional spaces.
>

> An AGI which gets nothing else than pure mathematical experiences in
> arbitrary mathematical spaces which we give the AGI by our mathematical
> definitions, could even have an important advantage against an AGI which is
> full of 3d patterns because of its 3d embodied experiences.
>

> I suppose the 3D vs. nD subject is just one of many examples one could
> find. But the main reason against embodied linguistic AGI for first
> generation AGI  is the amount of work necessary to build it. I do not think
> that the relation of utility vs. costs is positive.
>

> - Matthias
>

> Ben Goertzel wrote:
>

> That is not clear -- no human has learned math that way.
>
> We learn math via a combination of math, human language, and physical
> metaphors...
>
> And, the specific region of math-space that humans have explored, is
> strongly biased toward those kinds of math that can be understood via
> analogy to physical and linguistic experience
>
> I suggest that the best way for humans to teach an AGI math is via  first
> giving that AGI embodied, linguistic experience ;-)
>
> See Lakoff and Nunez, "Where Mathematics Comes From", for related
> arguments.
>
> -- Ben G

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson