Marc Walser wrote:

*Any* human who can understand language beyond a certain point (say, that of

a slightly sub-average human IQ) can easily be taught to be a good scientist

if they are willing to play along.  Science is a rote process that can be
learned and executed by anyone -- as long as their beliefs and biases don't
get in the way.
<<<

This is just an opinion and I  strongly disagree with your opinion.
Obviously you overestimate language understanding a lot.

This is a bit of disingenuous side-track that I feel that I must address.
When people say "natural language", the important features are extensibility

and ambiguity.  If you can handle one extensible and ambiguous language, you

should have the capabilities to handle all of them.  It's yet another
definition of GI-complete.  Just look at it as yet another example of
dealing competently with ambiguous and incomplete data (which is, at root,
all that intelligence is).
<<<

You use your personal definition of natural language. I don't think that
human's are intelligent because they use an ambiguous language. They also
would be intelligent if their language would not suffer from ambiguities.

One thought module, two translation modules -- except that all the
translation modules really are is label appliers and grammar re-arrangers.
The heavy lifting is all in the thought module.  The problem is that you are

claiming that language lies entirely in the translation modules while I'm
arguing that a large percentage of it is in the thought module.  The fact
that the translation module has to go to the thought module for
disambiguation and interpretation (and numerous other things) should make it

quite clear that language is *not* simply translation.
<<<

It is still just translation.

Further, if you read Pinker's book, you will find that languages have a lot
more in common than you would expect if language truly were independent of
and separate from thought (as you are claiming).  Language is built on top
of the thinking/cognitive architecture (not beside it and not independent of

it) and could not exist without it.  That is why language is AGI-complete.
Language also gives an excellent window into many of the features of that
cognitive architecture and determining what is necessary for language also
determine what is in that cognitive architecture.  Another excellent window
is how humans perform moral judgments (try reading Marc Hauser -- either his

numerous scientific papers or the excellent Moral Minds).  Or, yet another,
is examining the structure of human biases.
<<<

There are also visual thoughts. You can imagine objects moving. The
principle is the same as with thoughts you perceive in your language: There
is an internal representation of patterns which is completely hidden for
your consciousness. The brain compresses and translates your visual thoughts
and routes the results to its own visual input regions.

As long as there is no real evidence against the model that thoughts are
separated from the way I perceive thoughts (e.g. by language )I do not see
any reason to change my opinion.

- Matthias