Sorry Mark, but I'm not going to accept your opinion on this just because
you express it with vehemence and confidence.

I didn't argue much previously when you told me I didn't understand
engineering ... because, although I've worked with a lot of engineers, I
haven't been one.

But, I grew up around scientists, I've trained scientists, and I am
currently (among other things) working as a scientist.

It is really not true that there is a set of simple rules adequate to tell
people how to evaluate scientific results effectively.  As often occurs,
there may be rules that tell you how to handle 80% of cases (or whatever),
but then the remainder of the cases are harder and require actual judgment.

This is, by the way, the case with essentially every complex human process
that people have sought to cover via "expert rules."  The rules cover many
cases ... but as one seeks to extend them to cover all relevant cases, one
winds up adding more and more and more specialized rules...

It is possible I inaccurately remembered an anecdote from Feynman's book,
but that's irrelevant to my point.

***
Using that story as an example shows that you don't understand how to
properly run a scientific evaluative process.
***

Wow, that is quite an insult.  So you're calling me an incompetent in my
profession now.

  I don't have particularly "thin skin", but I have to say that I'm getting
really tired of being attacked and insulted on this email list.

-- Ben G