From: Dr. Matthias Heger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [agi] Understanding and Problem Solving
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 1:47 AM

Terren Suydam wrote:

Understanding goes far beyond mere
knowledge - understanding *is* the ability to solve problems. One's
understanding of a situation or problem is only as deep as one's (theoretical)
ability to act in such a way as to achieve a desired outcome.

<<<

I disagree. A grandmaster of chess can
explain his decisions and I will understand them. Einstein could explain his
theory to other physicist(at least a subset) and they could understand it.

I can read a proof in mathematics and I
will understand it – because I only have to understand (= check) every
step of the proof.

Problem solving is much much more than only
understanding.

Problem solving is the ability to *create*
a sequence of actions to change a system’s state from A to a desired
state B.

For example: Problem Find a path from A to
B within a graph.

An algorithm which can check a solution and
can answer details about the solution is not necessarily able to find a
solution.

-Matthias

      agi | Archives

 | Modify