>> -- truly general AI, even assuming the universe is computable, is impossible
>> for any finite system

Excellent.  Unfortunately, I personally missed (or have forgotten) how AIXI
shows or proves this (as opposed to invoking some other form of incompleteness)
unless it is merely because of the assumption that the universe itself is
assumed to be infinite (which I do understand but which then makes the argument
rather pedestrian and less interesting).

>> The computability of the universe is something that can't really be proved,
>> but I argue that it's an implicit assumption underlying the whole scientific
>> method.

It seems to me (and I certainly can be wrong about this) that computability is
frequently improperly conflated with consistency (though may be you want to
argue that such a conflation isn't improper) and that the (actually explicit)
assumption underlying the whole scientific method is that the same causes
produces the same results.  Comments?