Hutter proved (3), although as a general principle it was already a well established practice in machine learning. Also, I agree with (4) but this is not the primary reason to prefer simplicity.

Hutter *defined* the measure of correctness using simplicity as a component. Of course, they're correlated when you do such a thing. That's not a proof, that's an assumption.

Regarding (4), I was deliberately ambiguous as to whether I meant implementation of "thinking" system or implementation of thought itself.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Mahoney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [agi] Occam's Razor and its abuse

--- On Wed, 10/29/08, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (1) Simplicity (in conclusions, hypothesis, theories,
> etc.) is preferred.
> (2) The preference to simplicity does not need a
> reason or justification.
> (3) Simplicity is preferred because it is correlated
> with correctness.
> I agree with (1), but not (2) and (3).

I concur but would add that (4) Simplicity is preferred
because it is
correlated with correctness *of implementation* (or ease of
implementation correctly :-)

Occam said (1) but had no proof. Hutter proved (3), although as a general principle it was already a well established practice in machine learning. Also, I agree with (4) but this is not the primary reason to prefer simplicity.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]