Eric,

I highly respect your work, though we clearly have different opinions
on what intelligence is, as well as on how to achieve it. For example,
though learning and generalization play central roles in my theory
about intelligence, I don't think PAC learning (or the other learning
algorithms proposed so far) provides a proper conceptual framework for
the typical situation of this process. Generally speaking, I'm not
"building some system that learns about the world", in the sense that
there is a correct way to describe the world waiting to be discovered,
which can be captured by some algorithm. Instead, learning to me is a
non-algorithmic open-ended process by which the system summarizes its
own experience, and uses it to predict the future. I fully understand
that most people in this field probably consider this opinion wrong,
though I haven't been convinced yet by the arguments I've seen so far.

Instead of addressing all of the relevant issues, in this discussion I
have a very limited goal. To rephrase what I said initially, I see
that under the term "Occam's Razor", currently there are three
different statements:

(1) Simplicity (in conclusions, hypothesis, theories, etc.) is preferred.

(2) The preference to simplicity does not need a reason or justification.

(3) Simplicity is preferred because it is correlated with correctness.

I agree with (1), but not (2) and (3). I know many people have
different opinions, and I don't attempt to argue with them here ---
these problems are too complicated to be settled by email exchanges.

However, I do hope to convince people in this discussion that the
three statements are not logically equivalent, and (2) and (3) are not
implied by (1), so to use "Occam's Razor" to refer to all of them is
not a good idea, because it is going to mix different issues.
Therefore, I suggest people to use "Occam's Razor" in its original and
basic sense, that is (1), and to use other terms to refer to (2) and
(3). Otherwise, when people talk about "Occam's Razor", I just don't
know what to say.

Pei