On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But I don't get your point at all, because the whole idea of
> "nondeterministic" randomness has nothing to do with physical
> reality...

It has all to do when it is about quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics
is non-deterministic by nature. A quantum computer, even within the
standard model of quantum computation, could then take advantage of
this intrinsic property of the physical (quantum) reality (assuming
the model correct, as most physicists would).

> true random numbers are uncomputable entities which can
> never be existed, and any finite series of observations can be modeled
> equally well as the first N bits of an uncomputable series or of a
> computable one...

That's the point, that's what the classical theory of computability
would say (also making some assumptions, namely Church's thesis), but
again quantum mechanics says something else :

The fact that quantum computers are able of non-deterministic
randomness by definition and Turing machines are unable of
non-deterministic randomness also by definition seems incompatible
with the claim (or mathematical proof) that standard quantum computers
compute exactly the same functions than Turing machines, and that's
only when dealing with standard quantum computation, because
non-standard quantum computation is far from being proved to be
reduced to Turing-computable (modulo their speed-up).

Concerning the observations, you don't need to do an infinite number
of them to get a non-computable answer from an Oracle (although you
would need in case you want to finitely verify it). And even if you
can model equally well the first N bits of a non-deterministic random
sequence, the fact that a random sequence is ontologically of a
non-deterministic nature, makes it a priori a different one in essence
from a pseudo random sequence. The point is not epistemological.

In any case, whether we agree on the philosophical matter, my point is
that it is not the case that there is a mathematical proof about
quantum systems computing exactly the same functions than Turing
machines. There is a mathematical proof that the standard model of
quantum computation computes the same set of functions than Turing
machines.