Hi Ed,

I am glad you have read the paper with such detail. You have
summarized quite well what it is about. I have no objection to the
points you make. It is only important to bear in mind that the paper
is about studying the possible computational power of the mind by
using the model of an artificial neural network. The question of
whether the mind is something else was not in the scope of that paper.
Assuming that the brain is a neural network we wanted to see what
features may take the neural network to achieve certain computational
power. We found, effectively, that either an encoding at the level of
the neuron (space, e.g. a natural encoding of a real number) or at the
neuron firing time. In both cases, to reach any computational power
beyond the Turing limit one would need either infinite or
infinitesimal space or time, assuming finite brain resources (number
of neurons and connections). My personal opinion (perhaps not
reflected in the paper itself) is that  such super capabilities does
not really hold, but the idea was to explore all the possibilities.

It is also very important to highlight, that such a power beyond the
computational power of Turing machines, does not require to
communicate, encode or decode any infinite value in order to compute a
non-computable function. It suffices to posit a natural encoding
either in the space or time in which the neurons work, and then make
questions in the form of characteristic functions encoding a
non-computable function. A characteristic function is one of the type
"yes" or "no", so it only needs to transmit a finite amount of
information even if the answer required an infinite amount. So a set
of neurons may be capable of taking advantage of infinitesimals, and
answer yes or no to a non-computable function, even if I think that is
not the case it might be. That seems perhaps compatible with your
ideas about consciousness.

- Hector