From: Richard Loosemore [mailto:r...@lightlink.com]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 8:54 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] SyNAPSE might not be a joke ---- was ---- Building a
machine that can learn from experience

Ed Porter wrote:
> I don't think this AGI list should be so quick to dismiss a $4.9 million
> dollar grant to create an AGI.  It will not necessarily be "vaporware."
> I think we should view it as a good sign.
>

> Even if it is for a project that runs the risk, like many DARPA projects
> (like most scientific funding in general) of not necessarily placing its
> money where it might do the most good --- it is likely to at least
> produce some interesting results --- and it just might make some very
> important advances in our field.
>

> The article from http://www.physorg.com/news148754667.html said:
>

> ".a $4.9 million grant.for the first phase of DARPA's Systems of
> Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics (SyNAPSE) project.
>

> Tononi and scientists from Columbia University and IBM will work on the
> "software" for the thinking computer, while nanotechnology and
> supercomputing experts from Cornell, Stanford and the University of
> California-Merced will create the "hardware." Dharmendra Modha of IBM is
> the principal investigator.
>

> The idea is to create a computer capable of sorting through multiple
> streams of changing data, to look for patterns and make logical decisions.
>

> There's another requirement: The finished cognitive computer should be
> as small as a the brain of a small mammal and use as little power as a
> 100-watt light bulb. It's a major challenge. But it's what our brains do
> every day.
>

> I have just spent several hours reading a Tononi paper, "An information
> integration theory of consciousness" and skimmed several parts of his
> book "A Universe of Consciousness" he wrote with Edleman, whom Ben has
> referred to often in his writings.  (I have attached my mark up of the
> article, which if you read just the yellow highlighted text, or (for
> more detail) the red, you can get a quick understanding of.  You can
> also view it in MSWord outline mode if you like.)
>

> This paper largely agrees with my notion, stated multiple times on this
> list, that consciousness is an incredibly complex computation that
> interacts with itself in a very rich manner that makes it aware of itself.

For the record, this looks like the paper that I listened to Tononi talk
about a couple of years ago -- the one I mentioned in my last message.

It is, for want of a better word, nonsense.  And since people take me to
task for being so dismissive, let me add that it is the central thesis
of the paper that is "nonsense":  if you ask yourself very carefully
what it is he is claiming, you can easily come up with counterexammples
that make a mockery of his conclusion.

Richard Loosemore