It seems to come down to the simplicity measure... if you can have

simplicity(Turing program P that generates lookup table T)
<
simplicity(compressed lookup table T)

then the Turing program P can be considered part of a scientific
explanation...

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:02 AM, William Pearson <wil.pear...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/12/29 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I expanded a previous blog entry of mine on hypercomputation and AGI into
> > conference paper on the topic ... here is a rough draft, on which I'd
> > appreciate commentary from anyone who's knowledgeable on the subject:
> >
> > http://goertzel.org/papers/CognitiveInformaticsHypercomputationPaper.pdf
> >
> I'm still a bit fuzzy about your argument. So I am going to ask a
> question to hopefully clarify things somewhat.
>
> Couldn't you use similar arguments to say that we can't use science to
> distinguish between finite state machines and Turing machines? And
> thus question the usefulness of Turing Machines for science? As if you
> are talking about a finite data sets these can always be represented
> by a  compressed giant look up table.
>
>  Will

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx