Hi Steve,

A few comments...

1)
Nobody is trying to implement Hutter's AIXI design, it's a mathematical
design intended as a "proof of principle"

2)
Within Hutter's framework, one calculates the shortest program that explains
the data, where "shortest" is measured on Turing  machine M.   Given a
sufficient number of observations, the choice of M doesn't matter and AIXI
will eventually learn any computable reward pattern.  However, choosing the
right M can greatly accelerate learning.  In the case of a physical AGI
system, choosing M to incorporate the correct laws of physics would
obviously accelerate learning considerably.

3)
Many AGI designs try to incorporate prior understanding of the structure &
properties of the physical world, in various ways.  I have a whole chapter
on this in my forthcoming book on OpenCog....  E.g. OpenCog's design
includes a physics-engine, which is used directly and to aid with
inferential extrapolations...

So I agree with most of your points, but I don't find them original except
in phrasing ;)

... ben

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC

"
“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was
not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”