Matt:
I mean a neural model with increasingly complex features, as opposed to an
algorithmic 3-D model (like video game graphics in reverse). Of course David
rejects such ideas ( http://practicalai.org/Prize/Default.aspx ) even though
the one proven working vision model uses it.

Which is? and does what?  (I'm starting to consider that vision and visual
perception  -  or perhaps one should say "common sense", since no sense in
humans works independent of the others -  may well be considerably *more*
complex than language. The evolutionary time required to develop our common
sense perception and conception of the world was vastly greater than that
required to develop language. And we are as a culture merely in our babbling
infancy in beginning to understand how sensory images work and are processed).