Matt Mahoney wrote:
Steve Richfield wrote:
> How about an international ban on the deployment of all unmanned and automated weapons? How about a ban on suicide bombers to level the playing field?

> 1984 has truly arrived.

No it hasn't. People want public surveillance.

Guess I am not people then. Actually I think surveillance is inevitable given current and all but certain future tech. However, I recognize that human beings today, and especially their governments, are not remotely ready for it. To be ready for it at the very least the State would have to consider a great number of things none of its business to attempt to legislate for or against. As it is with the current incredible number of arcane laws on the books it would be very easy to see the already ridiculously large prison population of the US double. Also, please note that full surveillance means no successful rebellion no matter how bad the powers that be become and how ineffectual the means that let remain legal are to change things. Ever.

It is also necessary for AGI. In order for machines to do what you want, they have to know what you know.

It is not necessary to have every waking moment surveilled in order to have AGI know what we want.

In order for a global brain to use that knowledge, it has to be public.

I don't think the global brain needs to know exactly how often I have sex or with whom or in what varieties. Do you?
AGI has to be a global brain because it is too expensive to build any other way, and because it would be too dangerous ifthe whole world didn't control it.

No humans will control it and it is not going to be that expensive.

- samantha