Ben,

It seems COMPLETELY obvious (to me) that almost any mutation would shorten
lifespan, so we shouldn't expect to learn much from it. What particular
lifespan-shortening mutations are in the human genome wouldn't be expected
to be the same, or even the same as separated human populations. Hmmm, an
interesting thought: I wonder if certain racially mixed people have shorter
lifespans because they have several disjoint sets of such mutations?!!! Any
idea where to find such data?

It has long been noticed that some racial subgroups do NOT have certain
age-related illnesses, e.g. Japanese don't have clogged arteries, but they
DO have lots of cancer. So far everyone has been blindly presuming diet, but
seeking a particular level of "genetic disaster" could also explain it.

Any thoughts?

Steve