pikhq wrote:

On Monday 31 December 2007 11:08:56 Ian Kelly wrote:
On Dec 31, 2007 11:04 AM, Josiah Worcester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Perhaps: "An announcement may be made asserting the success or failure of
Transaction. This announcement is self-ratifying."?
We'd have to remember to make the announcement for each transaction.

-root

Hmm. "If the transaction's success or failure can't be readily determined, it is said to fail. A successful transaction self-ratifies"

The point of ratification is to avoid having to look for errors long
after the fact.  Hence the self-ratification of e.g. any message
purporting to be an official report, which covers cases where the
identity of an officer is in question.

Also, overlooking the failure of an attempted registration during an
Emergency Session could happen just as easily without transactions.

I think manual ratification is sufficient.  However, since determining
which officer(s) are responsible for evaluating the success of a given
transaction is non-trivial, how about:

"The Database Administrator (DBA) is a low-priority office.  The DBA's
report includes a list of transactions since the last such report (if
any), their success or failure, and the status of the relevant portion
of the gamestate afterward."