> What is your general view of advertising Agora?
> Where is it appropriate to advertise Agora? What kind of fora? Any
specific sites?
> What kind of things would you say in a message to possible recruits?

My thoughts on recruiting follow:
- Don't be annoying
- We don't want an influx of players who register and don't do anything
else, inflating quorum until they are forcibly deregistered
- While it seems the majority of Agora's players are math/CS types, I think
it has appeal to people with other interests too. For instance, while I am
interested in math and CS, I'm an international relations guy and this kind
of thing is right up my alley. Political scientists, linguists, lawyers....

> Why is Agora so terrible at gaining new players? And why is Agora so
terrible at retaining players?

Agora is boring. I'm actually playing this time around but there's still
not a lot to actually /do/. Sure, I can make proposals, but unless they
have only minor changes I'm very doubtful that /anyone/ but me would vote
for them. Keeping track of administrative stuff is fun for some, I'm sure,
but it's not my cup of tea. I have an app to play Go on my smartphone. And
I don't have the time to trawl through a sixty-page ruleset to try to find
or discredit scams. Maybe I'm just playing the wrong nomic but it seems
like there's so much potential to appeal to all kinds of different players.

Additionally, there's no real incentive for me to do anything or even check
my emails beyond keeping from being hopelessly lost. In Blognomic, for
instance, if you neglect the game for too long you're going to be at a
disadvantage for the rest of the dynasty. I'm not saying Agora should pick
up the pace, I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't feel like much
of a game.

And I would like to STRONGLY agree with Machiavelli's comments on the
ruleset.

> What can Agora do to improve its record at both of the above?

The first thing that comes to my head is to be less restrictive and
protective of the status quo. We don't want to irrevocably ruin the game,
but it seems like there's a culture of disliking anything new. Now, novel
mechanics and applications of existing mechanics do pass from time to time,
but from what I've seen over the last few years they all seem like
variations on the same theme. If I were to propose, say, a rule that
randomly altered the power of random rules, there's no chance in hell it
would pass. Which is all nice and responsible, but Agora would be a lot
more fun if things like that weren't discouraged.

> Would you support defining an FAQ document in the rules, to be
tracked by some officer, which would be sent to each new player?

Yes, and to me too please.

> What about a newbie friendly ruleset format, with the rules defining
gameplay at the start and abstract definitions further back? (Take a
look at this http://agora.qoid.us/alr.txt)

Rather than a differently-organized ruleset, I'd like to echo the
suggestion of a (non-binding) newbie friendly rewrite of the rules. As
others have said, the rules are terribly opaque. I have a lot of trouble
figuring out how anything works without asking people on IRC, and that's a
problem.

> What would you think of a newbie "tutorial" system? E.g. The
Promotor helps each new player write a proposal, the Assessor
encourages them to vote, etc. within the first month of them
registering.
> What about a "mentor" system, where each newbie is assigned an Elder
to show them the ropes? The mentor could get an economic bonus for
each month the newbie is still an active player.

This kind of thing could work in IRC. Personally, I'd feel more invested in
the game from something as simple as people encouraging me to do things.
Also I'd like to point out that I'm an Elder but I still don't know much
about the figurative ropes.

> Do you have any more suggestions or comments about recruiting and
retaining new players?

There's a common theme in my responses, I think, that I'm not articulating
very well. My favourite things to do in nomics are a) breaking things and
b) proposing interesting rules and seeing how they interact together.
There's got to be a way to widen Agora's appeal without sacrificing what we
already have.