In the past, "fungible" applied to recordkeeping.  It makes it clear that a
recordkeepor doesn't have to track the difference between "Muphy's Shiny #1"
and "Murphy's Shiny #2" once their in Murphy's pile.

But e'd *better* track the difference between Murphy's shinies and nichdel's
shinies!

An old version of the text had both concepts:

      A Currency is a category of entities established by the Rules.
      Each instance of a Currency is a Property. Instances of a given
      Currency are fungible.
      [...]
      Since units of Currency are fungible, it is not necessary for
      the Recordkeepor of a Currency to track the individual
      ownership of each unit; rather, it is sufficient to maintain a
      record of the total number of units possessed by each entity
      which possesses any number of units of that Currency.

Interestingly, we had a problem with Bonds once over this.  One rule said
that Bonds of the same Issue Series were fungible.  But another rule said
that cancelled (redeemed) Bonds could be sold back for a different value than
unredeemed bonds.

I got a redeemed and an unredeemed bond, and then said "I transfer 1 Bond to
Murphy".  It was 100% legal and successful (because the Rule explicitly
stated these were fungible) but nobody knew who held the cashable bond!