Aaaaaah. OK. Then the withdrawing thing must've been for something else.
Got that mixed up. (found that I was withdrawing other people's stuff a
while ago here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/agora-discussion@agoranomic.org/msg35811.html ,
and while successful it didn't have implications because only withdrawals
by the person themselves counted.)

But oh well. I guess that unregulated actions can cause no changes to the
gamestate then does hold.

Are promises gamestate? Are their status of being broken or not, gamestate?
If so, then no unregulated action (for example, "If Bob posts a poem on
a-d, I will pay them 4 shinies") can actually cause the change of them
going from unbroken to broken.