On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Alexis Hunt <aler...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A power-1 rule can only amend rules with power at most 1.
>

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 at 12:57 ATMunn . <iamingodsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> New proto:
>>
>> Title: "Clearing up Language Confusion" [CuLC in short]
>> Author: ATMunn
>> Co-Author(s): Alexis
>> AI: 1
>>
>> Create a power-1 rule titled "The Language of Agora"
>> {
>> A language is a set of symbols, sounds, and rules used to communicate
>> information.
>> The official language of Agora that SHOULD, under most circumstances, be
>> used in all Agoran fora is English, with Spivak pronouns.
>>
>> Any player CAN, without objection, cause this rule to amend a rule to
>> replace to replace singular personal pronouns (e.g.
>> "he/him/his/his/himself",
>> "she/her/her/hers/herself", or singular "they/them/their/theirs/themself")
>> with corresponding Spivak pronouns ("e/em/eir/eirs/emself").
>> }
>>
>> I think this looks a lot better. if there's anything else that should be
>> changed, then let me know. If not, I'll post and pend this by tonight.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM, ATMunn . <iamingodsa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Title: "Clearing up Language Confusion" [CuLC in short]
>>> Author: ATMunn
>>> AI: 1
>>>
>>> Create a power-1 rule titled "The Language of Agora"
>>> {
>>> A language is a set of symbols, sounds and rules used to communicate
>>> information.
>>> The official language that should be used in all Agoran fora is Spivak.
>>>
>>> The Spivak language is defined as being nearly identical to English
>>> except for the following:
>>> * The pronouns "he," "she," and "they" have been replaced with "e"
>>> * The pronouns "him," "her," and "them" have been replaced with "em"
>>> * The adjectives "his," "her," and "their" have been replaced with "eir"
>>> * The pronouns "his," "hers," and "theirs" have been replaced with "eirs"
>>> * The pronouns "himself," "herself," and "themself" have been replaced
>>> with "emself"
>>> }
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think. I've had this idea for a little while now,
>>> as a way to make it clear for new players why we use these abnormal
>>> pronouns; and now seems like a great time as the pend cost is only 1 shiny,
>>> so I might as well take advantage of that while I can.
>>>

>> Hm, that's a problem. I don't really want to make it AI 3 though. I'm
starting to think that maybe I should just give up on this and let a more
experienced player do it, or just not do it at all.
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 07:39 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> > Don't mind codifying spivak, but it's not it's own language rather
> > (by Wikipedia definition) "a set of gender-neutral pronouns in
> > English".
>
> I'd argue that an English-like language which uses Spivak pronouns (and
> a few other changes) is indeed a language which we habitually use at
> Agora. Whether is actually has a name is less certain, but Spivak is as
> good a name as any.
>
> If we're codifying this in the rules, I'd recommend defining the
> language itself (whatever we call it), stating that players should not
> perform actions that would cause rules to be created or amended to be
> written in other languages, and recommending (in a non-binding way)
> that the language is used for other communication. (I can see a good
> argument for using a consistent language for the ruleset; messing
> around with language in other contexts is probably not something we
> should ban though.)
>
> --
> ais523

Yeah, that's probably a good idea, although it might take me a little while
to figure out how to implement it.
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 11:21 -0600, Reuben Staley wrote:
> > This proto is definitely technically superior to the first one, but it
> has
> > contradictions. One option is to replace "personal" with "third person",
> > since "personal pronoun" refers to all three persons of pronoun.
>
> I just realised we have to be very careful in defining this: "e"
> replaces "it" in addition to "he" and "she", at least in cases where we
> want to treat something like (say) a rule as a though e were a person,
> but doesn't replace the typical plural meaning of "they" (it does
> replace singular "they").
>
> At present, we'd probably use "e" for the game of Agora as a whole,
> given that e's the main holder of Shinies. However, after months/years
> of not having any second-class persons, I think that pronoun usage fell
> somewhat by the wayside. Maybe we should bring it back.
>
> --
> ais523

Regarding the personal/third person thing, I'm not that familiar with the
names of groups of pronouns in English. I was just copying from what Alexis
mentioned.
Regarding "e" being used as a replacement to "it" as well, I was wondering
if that might be an issue. Again, I might just abandon this and/or leave it
up to the more experienced players.