On Sun, 26 Nov 2017, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2017, Alexis Hunt wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 at 19:31 Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > My memory is that there are a few out there, that amount to "if it's
> > > within a reasonable effort for the typical Agoran to resolve a conditional
> > > with information available at the time of the attempt, it works."  I'll
> > > try to hunt the archive though - I'm fairly certain there's at least one
> > > case like that.
> > >
> > > Under that standard, for example, various "I transfer enough shinies to
> > > claim a reward" would fail because it takes the Treasuror's extraordinary
> > > weekly tracking effort to resolve such things.
>

> It looks like CFJ 1214-1215 are foundational (and wholly forgotten):
>
> https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?1214
> https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?1215
>
> In 1214, Judge Taral states, clearly and directly, that there are basic
> ease-of-play reasons to allow them and sets the standard:
> > However, in the
> > interest of the coherent execution of the Game, it is only reasonable to
> > allow conditions which can be fully resolved by consultation of the
> > information publicly available within the scope of the Game at the time
> > the conditional Order is issued.
>
> In 1215, Chuck limits it to reasonably-available knowledge.

I think there's a money quote in Judge Chuck's reasoning here:

> I note that Caller's analogy to the stockbroker also supports this
> interpretation--while "if and only if we have not already bought shares
> of this stock in the last day or two, we want to buy X number of shares"
> would be accepted by the stockbroker, this is only because the
> stockbroker is generally responsible for knowing whether or not the
> trader has bought shares recently.  A statement such as "if and only
> if t is standing, we want to buy X number of shares" would be
> rejected by the stockbroker.

This would imply that the following would work:
  "If Agora has more than 5 shinies, I claim a reward of 5 shinies."
because it's the Treasuror's job to know such things.

However, the following would fail:
  "If Agora has more than 5 shinies, I shiny-pend the following
   Proposal..."
because it's *not* the Promotor's job to know such things.

-G.