The point is to charge some meaningful upkeep cost to zombie owners,
using the "scare" mechanism in the rules already. But I think this
version is needlessly complicated, and gameable as already pointed
out (by two zombie masters colluding), and isn't "scary".

I think a simple "pay N to a neutral fund" (n can be a mixed basket)
does the trick.  Maybe N is progressive depending on number of zombies
owned (making it near-impossible to have more than 2 in your chain,
say).

Once the Neutral fund exists, a second step could be allowing use of
the neutral fund to do some of the below things (change land types or
whatnot). Those things could have a scary flavor.