Especially when pending is free, I think we have a lot of buggy
proposals go into the pool, and the proofreading really doesn't
happen until a quorum-enforced group put on their voting hats
and look closely before voting.  I think the formality of that
process is useful.

*However* I don't think it's so much the straight voting-process
delay as the 1+week at each end waiting for promotor/assessor (not
a dig at the current promotor/assessor, this is true regardless of
officeholder).  Maybe if there's a way to speed up either end?