On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 04:59, James Cook <jc...@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Comments welcome. Sorry that it's so long. I went back and forth on
> 3726 a couple of times.

Thanks for an interesting judgement--a good way for me to get back
into the game. My instinct was that 3726 is TRUE, along the line of
argument that you suggested in the initial discussion, but you seem to
have found good reasons why the past is part of the gamestate.

> (There may be best-interests-of-the-game arguments going the other way,
> e.g. maybe it's easier to untangle some situations if ratification isn't
> mucking around with the past. But 7A and 7B still apply.)

R1551 reads as if it is trying to avoid amending the past, by amending
the present gamestate with reference to a hypothetical past. I have
tried to think of a couple of reasons, but neither feels particularly
compelling in the face of your arguments in (7):

- Pragmatism. It is impossible to amend the past, so why pretend
otherwise via legal fiction?
- It is simpler and cleaner to amend the gamestate at a single point
in time (the present) than amend all times t, P<=t<=T, where P is the
publication of the ratified document and T is the time of
ratification.