On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 01:15, Jason Cobb <jason.e.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I CFJ: "Existing is a regulated action."
>
> Evidence:
>
> {
>
> Rule 2125:
>
> >       An action is regulated if: (1) the Rules limit, allow, enable, or
> >       permit its performance; (2) describe the circumstances under which
> >       the action would succeed or fail; or (3) the action would, as part
> >       of its effect, modify information for which some player is
> >       required to be a recordkeepor.
>

> Rule 2166:
>
> >       An asset is an entity defined as such by a document that has been
> >       granted Mint Authority by the Rules (hereafter the asset's backing
> >       document), and existing solely because its backing document
> >       defines its existence. An asset's backing document can generally
> >       specify when and how that asset is created, destroyed, and
> >       transferred.
>

> Rule 1586:
>
> >       If the entity that defines another entity is amended such that it
> >       defines the second entity both before and after the amendment, but
> >       with different attributes, then the second entity and its
> >       attributes continue to exist to whatever extent is possible under
> >       the new definitions.
>
> }
>

> Arguments:
>
> {
>
> There are certainly places where the Rules "limit, allow, enable, or
> permit" the action of existing. I've included two in evidence: Rule 2166
> permits the existence of assets, and Rule 1586 explicitly limits the
> existence of entities that are defined by other entities. In addition,
> an argument could be made that the Rules "enable" all other game-defined
> entities to exist. This fulfills criterion (1) in Rule 2125 for making
> the action of existing a regulated action.
>
> }

I'm reminded of H. Judge D. Margaux's conclusion in the judgement of
CFJ 3737* that an action can be regulated for some people and not
others. I wonder if existing could be regulated for some entities but
not others. Though I'm a bit confused about where that would lead,
e.g. if a Coin doesn't exist because the rules say it doesn't, then
does that mean its existence is no longer regulated since it's not
actually a Coin?

* https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3737
Statement: "If the contract in evidence were to come into force,
breathing would be a regulated action."

James

--
- Falsifian