On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 2:48 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> So this judgement actually extends the concept of physical reality quite a
> bit, by saying "even though no rule outright forbids this, we're still
> saying it's R106-prohibited due to our (unwritten) precedents about assets."
> I'm not saying it's wrong, but I think it's important enough that it should
> be brought into the judgement directly.

I'd say it's not prohibited so much as logically meaningless.  The
rules don't explicitly define "transfer", but by the ordinary language
meaning, if you transfer 5 coins from yourself to A, you must end up
with 5 fewer coins.  Creating 5 coins out of thin air in A's account
is logically possible, but it's not a "transfer", so it's simply not
what the proposal would be requesting.

Now, in ordinary language, we sometimes treat currency as a sort of
abstraction for an account balance.  "I have 5 dollars" might mean I
have 5 physical objects that are dollars, or it might mean that my
account balance is $5.  This matters because account balances can go
negative; if you have $0 and try to transfer $5, it might succeed and
leave you with $-5 (and an overdraft fee).

But Rule 2166 defines an asset as an "entity", albeit one which
according to Rule 2578 is "fungible".  Thus, account balance is an
abstraction for the number of entities with you as their owner;
ownership is not an abstraction for account balance.  I think we've
had rules before that defined currency balance as a switch, which
would accomplish the latter, but not currently.

As such, while the proposal is requesting that it end up with 5 fewer
coins than it did before, there is simply no possible change to the
state of asset holdings that would actually accomplish that goal.  It
may as well ask for 2 + 2 = 5.