On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 02:11, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> Why are we reading the date-stamping to refer to the date-stamp of the
> original message? I would think it obvious that the relevant message is the
> one to the public forum, not the original one which wasn’t to the public
> forum.
>
> -Aris

I think this is tricky. I haven't thought about it too carefuly, but
here's a possible argument for saying it should be the date stamp on
the original message.

Consider the following timeline.

Feb 1: I sent a message to myself containing a by-announcement action.
Call that message M0.
Feb 3: I forward message M0 to the public forum, in a new message M1.
Feb 4: A CFJ is called about when I did the by-announcement action.

Let's consider what Rule 478 has to say on Feb 4.

"Any action performed by sending a message is performed at the time
date-stamped on that message." Did I perform the action by sending M0
or by sending M1?

R478 says 'To ... "announce" something is to send a public message
whose body contains that thing.' Did I sent a public message when I
sent M0? There's an obvious argument that I didn't: it was M1 that
made M0 public, so surely I didn't "send a public message" by sending
M0.

But taking this logic further puts us in a strange place. I have heard
there is precedent that a message that was not delivered to a
significant number of players is not public. Since it takes some time
between when a player sends a message and when it is delivered, it
seems to me that we can't know whether the message was public until a
(usually short) time after the message is sent. So, that would seem to
say nobody ever sends public messages.

So, I present a different way to think of it: because I sent M1, M0 is
a public message, and was a public message to begin with. It was "sent
via a public forum", even if the "via a public forum" part didn't
become clear until Feb 3. So, I performed the action by sending M0, so
the date stamp on M0 is the relevant one.

- Falsifian