On 6/2/2020 10:53 AM, James Cook via agora-discussion wrote:
> This topic has been bugging me ever since some recent CFJ
> discussion(s) (don't remember which) in which authorial intent was
> dismissed as irrelevant to the meaning of the rules, because it's not
> explicitly mentioned in R217. I think that when R217 says "the text of
> the rules takes precedence", it is requiring us to interpret the
> meaning of the rules text, and it's possible for intention to enter
> the picture there.

Can't remember the discussion, but IMO it's not because of R217 per se -
the standard reason to ignore intent for legislation (in general, not just
Agora) is that the rules are decided on by all the voters.  If, in voting,
I read something the author wrote, and interpret it a different way, and
that matters for my vote choice, then there's no consensus intent that can
be directly inferred from rules text - the author's intent is no more
privileged than any other voter's intent at that point.

Sometimes judges will go back to the conversations surrounding a proposal,
and if there are conversations that provide evidence of intent then we can
use that to a certain extent, as long as it shows "consensus voter intent"
and not just "author intent".

-G.